Developer based in Porto, Portugal.
Main interests: machine learning, games, and web.
- Experience with ML engineering and research, including as a research lab member at the Machine Learning Collective under Rosanne Liu from Google DeepMind;
- Extensive backend web development background;
- Game development experience includes successful Unity asset store publishing.
Full time availability, and open to traveling periodically.
Value smart colleagues, small teams, good code culture (documentation, code reviews, integration tests), challenging problems, and freedom to suggest priorities & approaches.
- Freelancing since high school (2013)
- Software Engineering degree (2015-2018)
- Joined Toptal in 2017
- Joined MLC research lab in 2020
Some companies I have worked with:
I have a background in machine learning, data science, web development (focus on backend), and game development (focus on the Unity engine).
Comfortable with any modern language, framework, and library. Happy to pick up new technologies.
Operations experience includes setting up, managing, and automating various server processes and CI pipelines.
My full work history is available on LinkedIn.
Working on my own projects is a large part of what I spend my time on. Below are some of the things I’ve done.
- Derived backpropagation from scratch to develop an intuitive understanding of the algorithm powering modern ML models
- Applied neural cellular automata models to the abstraction and reasoning corpus as part of my research at MLC
- Experimented with neural network weight compression using low-rank matrix approximation
- Applied LLMs to NPCs in virtual worlds, triggering actions based on model output
- Published a mesh optimization tool in the Unity asset store (my first profitable side project)
- Researched frame rate independent linear interpolation (a 3-part blog post series)
- Implemented Fowler–Noll–Vo 1a hash in C# as part of my procedural generation efforts
- Working on an infinite terrain generator based on a graph editor (inspired by shader graph). Currently looking into using the browser as a UI due to insufficient support for graph-based UIs in the Unity editor.
- Published Twitter Infinite Scroll Disabler, a browser extension that replaced Twitter’s infinite scroll with a “show more” button
- Built a modular web questionnaire scaffolding and published should you have some coffee
- Built Watch Together, a browser extension for synchronizing video players across multiple users on a popular web streaming service
- Set up a VPS in a repeatable way, with zero manual steps
- Wrote a checklist for using SQLite on personal web projects in the safest & cleanest possible way
How to reach out
DM on Twitter or firstname.lastname@example.org.